- 4 large aubergines
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 75ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- Seeds of ½ a large pomegranate (80g net weight)
- Salt and black pepper
- Place the aubergines directly on two separate moderate flames on the stove and roast for 15-18 minutes.
- Use metal tongs to turn them around occasionally, until the skin is burnt and flaky and the flesh is soft. Allow to cool down slightly.
- Peel the warm aubergines and use your hands to pull the soft flesh into long thin strips. Drain in a colander for an hour at least, preferably longer to get rid of as much water as possible.
- Place the aubergine in a medium bowl and add the garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, half a teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper. Stir and allow the aubergine to marinate at room temperature for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to serve, mix in most of the herbs and taste for seasoning. Pile high on a serving plate, scatter on the pomegranate seeds and garnish with the remaining herbs.